1) Increase the amount and variety of fresh fruit, vegetables and wholegrain foods you
have each day.
2) Choose low or reduced-fat milk, yoghurt and other dairy products or have ‘added
calcium’ soy drinks.
3) Choose lean meat (meat trimmed of fat or labelled as ‘heart smart’).
4) Limit fatty meats, including sausages and salami, and choose leaner sandwich meats
like turkey breast or cooked lean chicken.
5) Have fish (fresh or canned) at least twice a week.
6) Replace butter and dairy blends with polyunsaturated margarines.