1) All 17 species of penguins are found exclusively in the Southern Hemisphere.
2) Emperor Penguins are the tallest species, standing nearly 4 feet tall.
3) The fastest species is the Gentoo Penguin, which can reach swimming speeds up to 22 mph.
4) The number of existing penguin species is debated but thought to be between 17 and 20.
5) Penguins are a group of aquatic birds and they have become highly adapted for life in the water.
6) Some prehistoric species attained enormous sizes, becoming as tall or as heavy as an adult human.
7) Penguin eggs are smaller than any other bird species when compared proportionally to the weight of the parent birds.
8) Macaroni penguins are named after the flamboyantly dressed group of 18th century aristocrats, the ‘Macaronis’